Thursday, June 10, 2010

When I Grow Up...

Well, I survived my first UT course since 1999. My Fundamentals of Digital Photography I class came to an end last week and I couldn't be a more confusing combination of elated and sad. I really grew to enjoy the folks in the class and by the last night I couldn't decide if I was excited that there wasn't another class until the fall or completely devastated. On the last night, we had to present 4 photos we had taken since the class began. Truth be told, I had a really difficult time deciding. Not because I had 400 to choose from, but because I just couldn't find a single one I loved and that I thought the instructor would remotely like. Alas, I'm not one to turn in nothing, so here's what I decided on. I'll let you know what I and some of my classmates liked about these photos. There probably isn't enough room on blogspot or my computer to tell you what my instructor didn't like about them!

The high points of this are the blue "natural" frame around the photograph, the slowed-down water and the fact that the main subject is not centered.

The coloring is a little green here, but unfortunately so is her shirt, part of her dress and 95% of the picture. We like that a few of the flowers, Kendall and the ladybug are all in focus with an otherwise super blurry picture.

I'm finally learning to use some flash in an appropriate way and it actually shows in this picture. For once. It's the only photo I have so far with good use of flash!

My favorite. I liked the lines in this, Cooper isn't centered and it definitely shows where he's headed, not where he's been. I love that I caught him on his toes on the edge of the diving board, mid-motion! He was clearly having a horrible time! ;)

Thank you to all of you who kept asking about my class, asking what I was learning and what I was enjoying about it. It means a lot that so many people care about my hobby! And a super-big thanks to Chip who forced me to finally do it by getting it for me for my birthday! I just don't think he realized that you have to take 7 classes to get your "UT Photography Certificate" which is my new goal in life. Here's to Happy Pictures...

1 comment:

Randy Hurst said...

Nice aperture. In words. Your light choice is great Summer. The Stranger.