Sunday, February 6, 2011

SnOw Many Snow Days!!

We should have known that if we had snow in early December and had the first white Christmas in several decades that something was up with Mother Nature. She was trying to tell us something in December and it was probably something like "kids, get ready, you'll have a few days off from school this winter." I've laughed at a few posts on Facebook. So, so many parents are complaining by how many days we've missed already in a row and how bored they are and ready for their kids to go back to school. I've also seen the other folks posting the opposite... angry with those posting about how ready they are to be seperated from their kids because THEY would do anything to be at home with their babies. I laugh at both and I proudly take the middle ground here.

Chip and I enjoyed a very, very late celebration of our 10 year anniversary (which, for those that are counting, was in December 2009) at a cabin in Gatlinburg earlier in January. What started as a planned carribean vacation ended up as a 4 night stay less than an hour from home in the coldest month of the year. To be fair, we chose not to go to the carribean. We're crazy, you say? We know, but it's been quite an ending to 2010 and we were ready for pure laziness. Said laziness does not include shopping, packing, planning, and making reservations then all the fuss of flying out of the country. Our long weekend was everything we wanted it to be, which was, quite plainly, a weekend of splendid nothingness. We brought games and puzzles, movies and computers. We had internet access and excellent cell service. We had an air hockey table, fooseball table and an Xbox. However, we didn't finish the puzzle we started. We played air hockey once (8-6, Chip, if you must know), I never caught up on blogging like I had planned. We watched 3 of 5 movies we brought. Mainly, we layed around and did nothing and in between all that we sat in the hot tub while inches and inches of snow fell around us all weekend. We watched really bad 90's movies and went to bed early. We ate meals whenever we wanted and snacked like we were getting ready to hibernate for the winter. It was absolute heaven.

We had to come home a night early though because of the threat of worse weather, which actually turned out to BE something for once. A whole 7 inches of something, actually. School was closed for 3 days and at the end of those 3 days, I was definitely ready for the kids to go back to school, for many reasons. Like, for example: They need a routine. Running around the house getting out every single toy we own while staying in your pj's until your 5:00 bathtime, only to put on more, cleaner pj's is not exactly the "structure" we're going for these days. Also, I miss work. I need my structure and my routine, too. I love spending time with the kids, making cookies, eating cinnemon rolls or pancakes for breakfast because we actually have time in the mornings, playing in the snow for hours at a time, having the time to make ice cream from playdough and race cars all day long because we have no where to be! I also love that we can do ALL of those things and so much more, all while also having time to start and finish all my laundry, clean the kitchen and cook dinner every night. However, there's a fine line between the need for fun and quality time and the need for structure and normalcy. After the weekend then 3 snow days, it's time for Mother Nature to allow Mr. Structure to take over our lives again.

Meanwhile though...




The kid can make a sled out of anything, including the ultra-safe 4-wheel drive from the garage.






No comments: