Friday, March 26, 2010

Last Day of Winter

This year, I wanted to have a going away party for winter. I wanted streamers, noisemakers and cupcakes to celebrate the end of this dreadful season. Instead, Chip and I headed to the mountains with the kids on a gorgeous, perfect 70+ degree day. I couldn't have imagined a more perfect way to celebrate the impending hibernation of my least favorite season.


We struggle sometimes when planning a "hike" with the kids. In the warmer months, it is a little easier, as we can plan to do a little walking mixed in with a whole lot of swimming and skipping rocks. Chip and I have to continually remind each other that the kids can't do even a "moderate" hike. Although the Sugarlands Nature Trail wouldn't have even made our list of Top 100 hikes 5 years ago, it was perfect for what we need right now!


The bouncy tree was a source of great enjoyment for the kids. My feet started hurting while we stood for what seemed like an hour while they played on this fallen piece of nature.

Kendall refused to stand up, even though there were people waiting to get their own pictures. She kept saying she was "laying in the sun." We all know she doesn't get that from me!

Be on the lookout for our 2010 Christmas card. We may be revisiting Cataract Falls in late summer to try to duplicate this photo, but with more "updated" children! This is one of my favorite family photos to date!

After a picnic, our hike and a relaxing drive through the mountains, we headed back home in time to let Sam come over for a bit to play. Cooper is such a good Big Cousin and helped Sam find his way across our yard.


Afterwards, I actually had time to cook a homemade dinner and the kids were in bed before 7:30. Chip asked me if I was going to read "A Good Day" to the kids that night at bedtime. I was overjoyed with the perfection of our day!


Happy, Happy Spring, Ya'll!

No comments: