Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pumpkins

While October is one of my least favorite months (I love the leaves changing colors, the height of college football and Halloween, but can't stand what the end of fall brings ), I do love decorating pumpkins with my kids. It hasn't happened a lot, since they're still young, but so far it's one of my favorite activities. Chip isn't the artist in the family (although, hopefully some people who have had fillings done by him would call him one!!) and isn't the biggest fan of painting in general. I am not a fan of long, sharp carving instruments around small children... so, add these two things together and you get some serious mommy-and-me pumpkin painting fun! Unfortunately, just as we were finishing up, the rain came pouring down. The kids weren't much help and basically ran to the front porch with exactly zero (0) pumpkins or art supplies in their hands. So, as I was running through the rain, holding two pumpkins at a time, trying to keep the freshly painted pumpkins from turning into a bad horror film prop, the kids were cheering me on, telling me which pumpkins to pick first to save. It didn't work that well and we might just have a fun time this weekend re-painting these pumpkins!

We haven't made it to the official pumpkin patch yet this year, but gave quite a bit of money to the missions at Fairview United Methodist Church's pumpkin "patch."

The kids loved being able to sort through all the pumpkins and pick two each.

So, I'm a Jason Mraz fan. I have a few of his songs on a cd in my car, one of which is his remake of "Summer Breeze." I often don't think the kids even hear the radio. Sometimes they must, because I turn it up to tune out the screaming they are producing from the back seat. Other times, they apparently hear it just fine. And remember the words. I'm not sure why Cooper chose to sing it in quite the fashion he did, but it's hysterical nonetheless. We were walking back to our car after loading pumpkins and all of a sudden he breaks out in his Louis Armstrong impression of Jason Mraz's version of the Seals and Croft classic. Go figure.

Congratulations to our dear friends Kevin and Amanda who welcome Lila Katherine to the world on Tuesday! She's absolutely precious and we're excited to welcome a new little princess to our world!

1 comment:

Randy Hurst said...

A singing star is born.