Saturday, January 31, 2009

Atlanta - There & Back

Chip's birthday is tomorrow and I planned a mini-surprise of a two day, one night trip to Atlanta with the kids. Our plan was on Friday to drive down mid-day, go to the new-ish Georgia Aquarium then to dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe (nice and loud so our kids don't disturb anyone!). Our hotel is across the street from the Aquarium and has an indoor pool. For Saturday, the plan was to eat breakfast, swim some more while it warmed up outside and then head to the Atlanta Zoo on a day it was supposed to be in the 50's.

So, we left. Midday, as planned. We went to the aquarium, as planned. We began walking to the Hard Rock Cafe, as planned. And that is where our weekend plans changed! It was so windy that we couldn't make it the several blocks walking like we planned. So we turned around and ate at the Johnny Rockets in our hotel. It was great, casual, just like we prefer! Plus, Chip and I love Johnny Rockets b/c it reminds us of Memphis, where they are on every corner. We went back to our room and changed and we were able to swim for a long time before bed last night. It took the kids about an hour and a half to finally settle down long enough to get to sleep, but eventually it happened around 9:30 or 10. Around 11PM, Kendall woke up screaming and coughing. I was convinced she had the fastest onset of the Croup I had ever seen. Her cough was awful. She never did fully wake up and I don't know how Cooper never woke up as he was laying right beside her. It was difficult to calm her down and so it wasn't until about 2AM that she finally fell into a good sleep.

When we all woke around 7:30 this morning (to Cooper telling us that it WAS sunny outside even though we had the drapes closed as tight as can be). However, Kendall had a temperature of over 101 (why did I even pack a thermometer? For this very reason I guess). So, we took our time getting packed and listening to Cooper cry all morning about going home and not to the zoo. It was heartbreaking! They both did great on the way home and it was a good trip even without the second day! Kendall took a great nap today and hopefully will be feeling better soon!

This was the entrance to the aquarium. We stayed there for a long time and we hadn't even gotten in yet!

The tunnel. I must say, the Gatlinburg tunnel is much better. This was our least favorite part of the GA Aquarium.



Showing off our smiley faces at Johnny Rockets!

The children were nestled all snug in their bed...but not for long! We were singing more like "no more monkies jumping on the bed!"

No comments: