Eventually, we decided that even though he seemed like he loved us unconditionally, he needed a friend. Long, long story short, we ended up with Macie. Our only dog we've ever had with papers and a "proper" dog name consisting of at least 4 words. We were ill prepared for what kind of effect bringing a female dog into our house would have. It sort-of dawned on us the day we were at the dog park and noticed Logan was fighting a Great Dane in the middle of a pond. He had never really fought before. It really hit home the time we saw him "mark" a male black lab's owner while we were chatting with her (she only noticed the second time he did it). Thus started the whole era of "Logan can't be around other male dogs." We won't even go into the time he had my parents' Jack Russell by the throat.
He really was an amazing dog. I've talked a lot about fighting and goodness knows he killed a bush or two with all of his marking, but he was wonderful, just as long as you weren't a male dog. Or maybe a cat. He didn't much care for cats. He was loving and lovable, he leaned up against you until his 100lbs nearly knocked you over, just to get petted. He could walk on his hind legs like a circus dog and open doors with his nose. We yelled at him a lot. We yelled at him to get off the couch, to go outside, to stop licking the baby's feet. After we had kids, I think we probably forgot to let the dogs inside a lot at night. Or outside in the morning. We probably forgot to feed them way too many times. I wouldn't put it past us to have forgotten to give them water in July when we had 2 toddlers in the house. It was one of the best days of my life when we realized the kids could feed and water the dogs on their own!
I wanted to share this story of Logan. He was 15 when he died. Actually, less than 2 weeks shy of his birthday. He was older than many of your children. He was alive longer than my children will be in the city school system. I spent more time with him in the last 15 years than my own parents. Probably my own spouse. But like all good relationships, I yelled at him, I forgot about him, I left him alone often... when in return he had never yelled, never forgotten me (he was always, always waiting for me when I got home. Every single day of those 15 years) and if he had had his own way, he would have never left me alone (to be fair, I left him, he never left me). I hope my best relationships are a mirror image of my relationship with Logan. I hope people will eventually say "she never yelled at me, she never forgot me, she never left me." Wouldn't that be amazing?
Logan's first experience with kids was with Kori!
Snow in Memphis! The dogs loved it!
This was the first day we had our first digital camera! Photo cred: Chip Webb
He was a snuggler, for sure. Perhaps spoiled rotten.
Ever the watch dog.



1 comment:
Sniff. Sniff. Head nuzzle.
Post a Comment