What didn't happen during those 2 weeks was taking the time to forge expectations. It was the smartest move we could have made. Because of that stupid 50lb weight limit on luggage, we were ill-prepared for toys and games, but we were happy to find out that the 1 lb of toys each they were allowed didn't even make their way out of the trunk of the rental car for 3 days.
The other thing that never happened during the planning stages was taking the time to remember where we were going. I knew we'd see family and I was beyond thrilled with that knowledge. Sometime between week 1 and our day of arrival, I seemed to forget we were going to a place that was once home to my parents and grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. A place that I've spent many holidays, summer vacations, birthdays and random, wonderful, perfect days. So, you can imagine my surprise when I almost cried with giddy happiness when we arrived at my grandparents' and smelled that New England air, a house that is mere steps from the saltwater that I spent countless childhood days swimming in, collecting massive seashells and creating memories that are stuck like bubblegum in my once long, blond, un-highlighted hair.
Brenton Pointe, Newport, RI. Quite Easily in my Top 5 Favorite Places on Earth. I have so many memories of walking along the rocky beaches, eating homemade egg salad and watching no less than a hundred kites fly through the air. The picnic area and beaches weren't nearly as crowded as they were in my youth in July, but I was still amazingly happy to share this special place with my children.
Brenton Pointe, Newport, RI. Quite Easily in my Top 5 Favorite Places on Earth. I have so many memories of walking along the rocky beaches, eating homemade egg salad and watching no less than a hundred kites fly through the air. The picnic area and beaches weren't nearly as crowded as they were in my youth in July, but I was still amazingly happy to share this special place with my children.
Not much nostalgia here, I can see seagulls (for whatever, unexplained reason) in the parking lot of the movie theatre in Maryville, but I like the shot anyway.
The kids enjoyed the small pools that gather amongst the gigantic rocks. There was lots of sealife to watch that we don't get in Destin!
You just never know what you'll catch in one of the million lobster traps you'll see in New England.
I can't even begin to imagine how many pictures we have on this block of concrete of various family members dating back to when my dad and uncles were kids and beyond. This is just across the street from my grandparents house where the Maciel crew has spent many a days swimming and walking and enjoying eachother's company!


No comments:
Post a Comment